Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Rustic Hostile Hostel

(4th day - at the Rustic hostel)
Hmmm... My first thought upon arrival is that I'm glad I hedged my bet and booked a different organization for my second post in Sri Lanka. I mean, no toilet paper, seriously? Sure, thats fine and expected at a monastery, bathrooms in shops, restaurants, etc but not here. This is a 'for profit' outfit. They have the money. Don't get me wrong, this isn't bad and I've met three girls already (Meagan from Australia, i-cant-remember-her-name from Oregon, and Maria from Sweden.) As far as I can tell I will be the only volunteer at my monastery but I don't mind. I'm sure during my 8 weeks I'll pick up a few and god forbid I should spend the majority of my time with the monks. Someone takes me to the monastery tomorrow afternoon, which is a relief. I'd prefer to avoid an extended (or even short) stay here and I can finally set up my nest. (sad noise) I want to go back to Shree Tibet in Thamel!

Meagan was in the van when they came to pick me up and we talked on the way. She just spent 2 months in Thailand and arrived here yesterday. She told me she signed up for the two week language and culture class. I was feeling stupid for not doing that until I arrived here. One night is enough, thank you. Part of me (and you know who you are) feels like a bad traveler/person for wanting to return to Thamel. But the larger part of me thinks that just because I am capable of handling anything doesn't mean I have to jump with joy for everything. Watching the look on the coordinators and my fellow volunteers faces when I said I spent three days in Thamel by myself before coming here boosted my self-esteem considerably.

(after lunch)
I am working on the whole "finish everything on your plate" thing but during lunch I didn't even try. The lamb was more bone than meat. For the record I tried three sizable bites before abandoning the attempt. Swallowing a lamb bone is okay, right? Yuck. The worst part is the crunchy feeling as you chew. There is a pair of sisters with gray hair who are adorable. They remind me of Ellen.

Before lunch we newcomers had an orientation that was helpful once I joined in and asked 50 questions to get some useful information. It felt like being back in high school. Not sorry that I didn't sign up for the two weeks. Meagan told the director she was worried about being lonely and board at a monastery so she switched her last week to orphanage work. I bit my tongue to stop myself saying that you won't be alone by definition because your living with dozens of monks. And if you do get "bored" go for a walk, into town, find a monk to teach YOU, and/or you meditate. Isn't that the point?

I am ashamed to admit that I had a silent fit when Kersher (our orientation guy) told me that the monks start their day by praying. What! They meditate you idiot, They aren't praying. Then the reasonable part of me interjected. They can be the same. Christian monks chant as their prayer and it serves as a form of meditation. In Buddhism we meditate and say our mantras to help achieve an enlightened state (or become closer to god); to better feel the vibrations of the universe.

Now that I am surrounded by people I feel truly lonely for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment