Saturday, December 24, 2011

Make-up assignments

The iPad is back! And with it some lost writings. Enjoy...


Lotus Temple, Delhi

(Thursday morning)
(sheepish grin) My feminism might have come out to play again yesterday. I must be in at least 50 people's pictures of the Lotus Temple. And only a third of them asked. I did meet a nice couple from Afghanistan. But I think I must start this story from the beginning.

After lunch yesterday I was at a total loss as to what to do. I wandered through the Main Bazaar for a while, then down another street on a whim. The Red Fort did not pull me and, even more disturbing, neither did the museum. The other thing that caught my eye while looking up things to do in Delhi was visiting the Lotus Temple. It is the center for the Bahai and literally shaped like a lotus blossom. Sure, why not I thought and caught an auto rickshaw. I'm sure he overcharged me but considering I paid 3 times the amount he quoted to go from the area around the airport to the Main Bazaar by taxi I went with it. (The Lotus Temple is near the airport you understand.)

The building is beautiful and huge with an enormous garden surrounding it on all sides. There are three bridges over pools to get into the temple with steps leading down to the water. I elected to sit on the steps in the sun for a while instead of fighting the crowds to get in. Well, since I stood (sat) still for more than 2 seconds everybody swung their cameras over to me. This was disconcerting at first and continued to be disconcerting. I sat for hours watching the sun set and the boys sneak pictures of themselves with me. Finally there was this one group that annoyed me and one guy in particular who I felt like dunking in the pool to mess up his ridiculous hair. He had on a shiny, black tracksuit and stupid a-symmetrical gelled hair. For about half an hour him and his mates hung around near me on the steps and 'stupid hair' guy would walk back and forth in front of me on this one step. That would have been fine except that it happened to be the step my feet where resting on which necessitated me lifting up my feet every five minutes (the other steps below and above me where deserted for the record.) When his mates started taking turns sitting next to me to get a picture I just about lost it but decided to stay. Then it was his turn. He sat close enough as to nearly press up against me. Breath Karynn, breath. It doesn't matter. Yeah, that didn't work. He stood up over me to rejoin his buddies when he gestured back to me and said something that made them all laugh. Yeah, I kind of lost it. This whole time my water bottle was next to me about 2/3 full. I picked it up as if to take a drink and caught the eye of 'stupid hair' guy before throwing the water at him and giving the camera guy a dose for good measure. Thirty seconds later a guard came over and shooed them off.

So that was my feminism coming out to play in a big way for the second time on this trip. Hee Hee

No comments:

Post a Comment