Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Dancing in the Rain

(early evening)
I just came in from standing on the roof in a thunder storm in the rain. I've never seen such spectacular lighting in my life. All of my clothes are hung up around the room as in an attempt to dry them. We were down the street when it started so I ran up to the roof to take down my clothes before they got soaked all over again and nearly killed myself. My body adjusted to going up stairs faster than I expected but running down the road, up four flights of stairs and one spiral staircase nearly did me in.

After laundry the girls in my room, myself included, walked up to the main road to search for shampoo and Nutella. Yes, they have Nutella here! A different brand and it's swirled with white chocolate (or something white, anyway) but still Nutella. Meagan is now obsessed but so far I have resisted the temptation. I'm afraid if I try it I won't be able to stop. While on the street we found an Internet cafe and I sent you a quick update to let you know where I was. I then found some shampoo (panteen provitamin) and twix!

Ahhh! (sad noise) There is a little dog next door that cries on and off all day. I can't stand it much longer. Besides him and another big dog in the neighborhood dogs don't really bark here. I miss my baby!

Before walking back down the hill I stopped at a fruit stand to buy a pomegranate. I wanted one and ended up with four for 200 rupees. We stopped at the "Pepsi Store" for masala chiyaa (chai in Nepali) and asked the lady who runs the store to split it for us. Expertly she sliced it in half and, seemingly out of thin air, a little boy no older than 6 appeared at our table. Of course he spoke Nepali which we didn't understand, but some looks are universally understood to mean 'I want some.' So, naturally, I handed him a piece. My pictures of him are the cutesy things ever. When he finished he matter-of-factly threw the rind over his shoulder and held out his hand. Soon he ate his way through another piece. I felt supremely guilty and prayed I would never meet his mother when I handed him a third piece. You try saying no to those eyes! Between bites he pointed to me and asked (I assume) about my mala. Of course, mala was the only word I understood. You will melt when you see my pictures.

I adore the woman who runs the 'Pepsi Store". Someone told me she makes the best masala chiyaa and they spoke the truth. We tried out a few of our new phrases and she was delighted. I even managed to say 'my name is' correctly, partly on accident. Somehow, I am the most outgoing of the group. Often times when I buy something or have a conversation with a local person I get a compliment on how brave I am or how well I did something. That isn't to say the other girls are sissies, just not as outspoken as me apparently. Who would have thought.

(after dinner)
Leah woke me up five minutes before dinner. Now the four of us are laying in our respective beds talking. They are going to Thamel tomorrow afternoon when I am, hopefully, on my way to my post. We spent the last hour looking at my purchases and discussing prices. I'm still thinking about one thing that I desperately wanted but didn't buy. Next time I'm in Thamel I will look for that jewelry shop again.

Even with my nap my eyes are tired. Dancing in the rain is hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment