Friday, October 21, 2011

Hormones Suck

(Saturday afternoon)
Alright, I must repair the damage done by my neglect. For the last week I have barely written a thing. But how to do it? Instead of attempting to go day-by-day I think Ill treat this whole week as one 'stream of consciousness' and write as such.

Simply put this was a down week. Hormones are a bitch. What are they good for, huh? Sure, they do a few nifty things I guess, but it seems their chief joy in life is to make me miserable.

Almost every day this week I've gone to town, which at least means I spent a few hours outside and moved quite a lot. Isn't that the healthy thing to do? Well it didn't help. Endless circles of homesickness, fear, doubt, cruelty, sleep, quiet, voices, peanut butter and Oreos.

Today a thought occurred to me. Andrea had just taken a shower and sprayed some product in her hair. It smelled vaguely of hairspray which I hate at home. The sweet, chemical smell soothed me here. I thought of Mamma doing her hair, me complaining, and of my own bathroom. Uh oh, must not be homesick! But I didn't want to go home. I just missed home. Is it possible that being homesick can mean missing home without needing to abandon my adventure and go home? Maybe being homesick doesn't mean I'm a horrible adventuress and give a bad name to all of my camel-riding, skirt-wearing forbears? . . . Nah. That would mean I didn't suck and we couldn't have that. . . but it is an interesting thought.

A few days ago, walking down the street, a quite different thought hit me over the head. I am in Nepal. How crazy is that?! I am in Nepal! I've always wanted to be in Nepal. Me, Karynn Michelle, I am actually physically and mentally (kind of) in Kathmandu, Nepal. Talk about the coolest thing ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment