Sunday, February 12, 2012

First hand experience

Boy do I have a lot of things to catch up on. Tibetan refugees, child soldiers, spring mattresses, unemployment, and hot lemon honeys.

Mamma left on the 1st which devastated me. Not as hard as leaving home though. I suppose the difference is now I have supreme confidence in my ability to cope with anything. Hey, if I can last this long. True I didn't expect to spend 4-5 months in Nepal alone but hey, it's certainly worked out great. In my first two months I learned so much about nepali culture, some buddhist, and people in general. Mostly I think I learned about myself and what I am capable of. Now I am delving more into the philosophy, customs, and history of my surroundings. I'm learning the things I expected to learn when I first came but so much more.

I see first hand Tibetans relationship with his Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama and how that differs from their relationship and feelings toward their guru(s). Genuine attitudes towards the Chinese and what it's like for a people to have no country. Stories of their grandparents escaping Tibet during the Chinese invasion and the extreme differences in mentality between east and west. Perhaps the most extraordinary thing about these beautiful people is their utter lack of animosity towards the people and systems who wronged them. Non-Tibetans are far more indignant and angry on behalf of these persecuted people than the actual people. I do not mean to say Tibetans accept the situation nor are they happy with it. Many express their want for foreign intervention. But these are a non aggressive people in the most fundamental sense. Fighting to gain their desired ends is simply unthinkable.

Concerning respect for masters the west has largely lost it's ability to revere people like masters, teachers, priests, etc. The notable exception are Catholics. We view an important person as respectable the more they 'relate' to 'regular' people. The more 'approachable' the better. Those who hold special places in society must go out of their way to hide it, celebrating personal accomplishments in public is bragging, and the best and brightest must refuse praise and respect or be branded as snobby. Westerners respect the Dalai Lama because of his friendly demeanor and joking personality. Tibetans appreciate that also but their primary reason is, of course, tradition but also his dharma teachings and tangible love for all people be they Buddhist or not.

Some Buddhist gurus attain their status through hard meditation and good works. (Still a little fuzzy on that piece.) Others are recognized as reincarnations of bodhisattvas (those who attain enlightenment but choose to stay on earth in order to assist others) and are revered as such. Yet this is not the blind worship most of us would assume. To be recognized as a reincarnation of a bodhisattva means someone recognized the qualities of compassion, love, and dedication. Unlike the Hindu caste system or Europe's royalty masters are chosen for their exceptional character, not their exceptional lineage.

No comments:

Post a Comment