Saturday, September 10, 2011

The "Lavander Story" and Other Adventures

How on earth did I end up in a Nepali tattoo parlor? Before you freak out it wasn't for me. Zorba wanted to talk to his buddy who did Stella's a few days ago. I think hippie artists with dreadlocks are related no matter what country they live in. Except few probably study Sanskrit for 9 years and don't partake in any drugs apart from the occasional cigaret.

During breakfast Stella tried to convince me to hop on a plane and come stay with her in Florence. She says she worries about me by myself here. I told her I would love to come and stay with her but I have to continue this adventure first. Zorba says I am brave for setting out on this journey and gives me tips, the most useful of which is a bottle of water should only cost 25 rupees.

Stella, Zorba and I spent most of the day shopping in Thamel. I set out looking for shirts and ended up (in true Karynn fashion) with one shirt and four skirts. Oh well. My friends helped me bargain down to a good price for everything. I hope I picked up some good tips.

Most every shop sells cloth bags but I found the perfect one. Unfortunately the shop assistant won't budge from 500 rupees. Okay, the original price was 550 but I don't think that counts. Stella took a hard line at 350 but no luck. After a few minutes we left but on the street I made a sad face and told her I want that bag. We went next door to look at their bags, but nothing would make me budge. So we went back and offered 350 again. No luck. We left, again. Outside I looked at Stella with my sad eyes and insisted I wanted that bag. We decided to come back again after lunch (at 4:00 in the afternoon). Unfortunately we came back after they had closed. So tomorrow I will go back and overpay slightly for the perfect bag.

The big event of today was experiencing my first rip-off. My mosquito bites were (and are) driving me crazy. Cortizone cream, benadryl cream, tiger balm all failed me. I dont know what is different about mosquitos here but they really are a bitch. Since Stella has become our unofficial doctor I asked her what else I could try. She said lavender essential oil keeps them away and soothes bites. When I could t stand it anymore someone showed us to a shop where me might find some. After searching every corner we found some and proceeded to the counter. ... Okay, there was some looking in between. At the counter I pulled out a thousand rupees and asked if he could make change. "Yes of course." So I handed him two one thousand rupee bills. When he counted my change he only gave me change for one thousand. Back and forth and back and forth we went. Finally he said I should come back after closing and see if an extra thousand rupees showed up in the books. More back and forth before I agreed and left. Zorba was very upset when we relayed the story and said we would definitely go back. Later, we did just that. Turns out a tiny Nepali woman runs the shop and refused to believe me. So we went to the video, literally. Most of the store assembled to watch us go through the security tape to see if I could prove my story. Turns out... I could. I was right all along. Extremely reluctantly and after many excuses and much hostility she handed me my thousand rupees. Back at the hotel I asked Zorba if he thought the note had negative energy now. He said no, on the contrary, since it had come back to me I was meant to have it. That made me feel better.

So, my first trouble spot. Thank good for loyal and strong friends. (And security cameras.) We had naan, mashed potatoes, curried potatoes, and pizza for dinner plus a much needed dose of wi-fi thrown in.

Well, that about covers my day. Tomorrow (the 11th) I take up my post at the monastery.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful story baby, I thought for sure that it would simply be a 1000 rupee learning experience. But you never cease to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Humm… I need to figure out how to get my comments to not be anonymous.

    ReplyDelete