Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Rain

(Tuesday after class)
Some of them might have gotten the concept of 'on' and 'in' plus I confirmed which of the little ones want to learn and which don't. Lucille isn't happy, but as far as I'm concerned if we can get a few of them to understand a new concept our time wasn't waisted. Besides, we went over policemen, thief, barber, etc which are important.

(laughing)
I just taught the boys how to sword fight. The little one (now dubbed Superman) is really good! He can even block me when I go in for the kill. None of them will make a thrust at us, though. We played for an hour at least before we got hot and I returned to my contrived comfy spot, which is a comforter folded up and placed against a pillar so my back is happy. My god I'm getting old.

There are beautiful, rust colored dragonflies everywhere who's only purpose in life seems to be to alight on things and look photogenic. Lucille and I nearly ran into (literally) three enormous black cows while walking back up the path to the monastery. They haven't made a sound yet so I can't tell if Nepali cows are hollow like Belgian cows.

As much as I hate to admit it I think you people were right when you said a sunny day lifts ones mood. I mean besides the vitamin D thing. I've been happiest here on our two spectacularly sunny days. The heat feels good since I nearly frozen to death last night. I think I'll have to shake out the comforter, again, swallow my pride and use it.

Yesterday I came to another decision in the rain. People here use umbrellas when it rains, especially the tourists. My 'northwestern self' was contemptuous. Ha, I thought. No one in the northwest uses an umbrella. Upon further consideration as I stood in the rain yesterday I'm going to swallow my pride again and buy a big umbrella. In Washington we have three basic types of precipitation. We have the quintessential 'drizzle' which is more like a heavy mist. We have the 'sprinkle' where the drops are noticeable and you will get wet if you stand outside for long enough. And we have the 'downpour' which is self explanatory. The other part of northwest rain is we have the ability to run into a coffee shop, store, house or car before we get soaked. Even in the event of severe dampness we just go home, change our clothes and make use of our heaters or dryers. Nepal's version of a misty rain is similar to our 'drizzle' except the few raindrops that fall are huge, despite there not being very many of them. Consequently you get a lot wetter, faster than you'd think. Then they go straight to the downpour which is again self-explanatory. But then! Then they have a 'bucket' rain, which, as you can deduce, is like having someone dump buckets of water on you every second. Most often this is accompanied by a thunderstorm. Another difference is we in the northwest where waterproof shoes when it rains. Nepali people just keep walking in their plastic flip-flops. It makes perfect sense when you think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment