Friday, October 21, 2011

The Mandala of Sherlock Holmes

(Friday night)
Few, what a day. Two days actually. Yesterday I joined Jen and went with Kesha on Rustics tour of Kathmandu; Pashupati, Bodha, and the Monkey Temple (Swaryambu) or something like that. It was perfect because I got all the pictures I wanted the first time. The company was enjoyable but the first time was better just because everything was busier. More people in the sacred river, more monkeys in the deer park, more monks in Bodha. But, since I'd experienced those things already I didn't feel I was missing out on anything.

That said this visit to the deer park totally kicks the first's butt. The monkeys have the coolest game ever. There is a green pool that they hang out at, swim, etc but some of them (the teenagers no doubt) climb up the tall tree next to it and jump! Coolest thing ever! Cooler still I have action shots! YAHOO... Splash.

I also took about 6 million pictures at the Bodha stupa to make up for the first missed opportunity. One of them has to turn out, right? Ooo, and I found the most perfect book that ever called to me from across the shop; The Mandala of Sherlock Holmes. Perfect or what? In The Empty House Holmes references the years when everyone assumed he has died at the Reichenbark Falls. He says he spent much of that time in Tibet and met the Head Lama. (That would have been the 13th Dalai Lama I believe.) The Mandala of Sherlock Holmes is the recollection of those lost adventures. Naturally not written by Conan Doyle but they seem well written and true to the character of the worlds greatest detective.

No comments:

Post a Comment